Tuesday, November 16, 2021

"Roman Holiday" in Nimes -- Food and Accommodations




     
 
When I travel I try to go as cheaply as possible so that I can go on more trips in the future. My trip to Nimes was no exception. I found an Airbnb, ate simple meals, wrapped up dinner rolls for my breakfast, walked or took buses, and found bargains for my train ride there and back. Occasionally, I'd splurge with a hazelnut crepe like this one that I bought from a street vendor outside the Jardin de la Fontaine.  Mmmm-good!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My first stop when I arrived in Nimes was my Airbnb apartment. Giles, my host, met me on the street outside my Airbnb, called "Le Nid" (the Nest) in front of this beautiful building. The Nid was a cozy attic apartment on the third floor, and Giles was very proud of it. Perhaps it was a new investment venture for him. Like several French Airbnbs where I've stayed, the host does not live in the unit. That means that rendez-vous and door-key arrangements are texted. 

 Thankfully, an elevator took us up two floors leaving only 16 steps to climb up a narrow, wooden staircase. The Nid had all the standard amenities except Wifi, which was fine since I didn't bring my computer. My cell phone worked just fine there and kept me in touch with email and Internet news. The TV worked with just one hand-held remote! Giles gave me a brief tour, a set of keys, the codes to open the front door, and a tip about the Jardin de la Fontaine, whose canal walkway was just outside my building. He told me about the nearby stores and boulangeries as well as the Halles covered market in the old city (7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) 

 
The Nid's beautiful building highlighted these expressive sculptures that were encrusted on its exterior. Some fine artwork here!
 
           

 

The Nid was simple but cozy with a bed, TV, kitchenette, bathroom, a nice hot shower, and towels all in about 200 square feet.


   



 


Nimes provides lots of food options for various prices and venues. I also discovered that there was some Italian influence in this area, but not as much as Nice, according to one take-out food vendor. He sold me the Sicilian dish called orangini, which I took home with me to eat.
     
 
 
    One of my restaurant delights was Joe's Bar, which was right on the main street near the Maison Carré and a 10-minute walk from my Airbnb apartment. Joe's served food fairly early, which made it especially attractive because I don't like to be out in the dark alone. In mid-October, night falls around 7:30-8 p.m. While I waited for the 6:30 "dinner hour" with my huge chicken Cæsar salad, I treated myself to a rum and Coke. (I had had a dream about this drink a couple weeks before.)
                                


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joe's is a sports bar and apparently a popular place among the young and for families on a night out. You order your drinks and food at the bar and then pick them up when your hand-held buzzer goes off. While I waited for my order, there happened to be a baseball game on the TV, which made me ecstatic. It's been four years since I've seen a game! This one was between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox during the fall playoffs. It was good to see something very familiar after being away from home for three years. Lately I've been feeling a bit homesick since the prospects of going back will have to be put off for another year thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.

 
 
Many of France's cities have Middle Eastern restaurants. I ate at one with a huge plate of lamb kebab, French fries, and a salad. Fortunately, there was outdoor seating, which I prefer during these days of coronavirus. It's just a little safer.


 

 

For lunch on another day I had eggplant parmesean. I was one of the first to arrive at the restaurant at 12 noon. During the course of my leisurely meal, the place filled up quickly both inside and out. The small tables of the restaurant had to be re-arranged to accommodate one large group.



 



I didn't find any restaurants that served alligator (as they do in New Orleans), but this big fellow was sitting outside a row of restaurants in a pool of water. He is the city's mascot. Citizens of Nimes are crazy about alligators here and they sell stuffed green ones at tourist shops.

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment